GIRLS, HERE IS WHY YOU SHOULD SHAVE WITH A SAFETY RAZOR
We get it, since you were born, the only thing you saw in the supermarket shelves are disposable razors. Whether it’s a fully disposable version or a plastic handle with disposable cartridges, it’s estimated that 2 billions plastic razors are ending in the landfill each year in the US alone. You can calculate for yourself what you already threw away: if you change your razor every 1 or 2 weeks, times 52 weeks a year, times the number of years since you started shaving… oh well, that’s way too much.
Ok, but then, what options are out there? You can wax (doesn’t work for everybody... plus likely wasteful if not for the sugar method). You can go no-shave (afterall, hairless women is a construction of our society, right?). Or if like us, those options are not what you are looking for, you have to consider Safety Razors.
Invented in the 1850s (patented in 1880), it’s called that way because only a small surface of the blade appears naked, so you can shave efficiently without risking injury. Yes, you can still nick yourself, the same way that you could with a plastic razor – follow our recommendations so this won’t happen!
Safety razors offer a lot more advantages than just being a zero waste swap:
- They are much cheaper on the long run. The first purchase might be on the high side, but you will need only one for the rest of your life if you take good care of it. The replacement blades can be found at very low price (HK$1-2 per piece).
- They offer a closer shave. There is only one blade but god!.. she is sharp. Cartridge blades might have 4 or 5 blades but they are pretty dull in comparison.
- It is an awesome way to avoid razor burns and ingrown hairs (because fewer blades)
- It’s healthier as the hair, skin and soap won’t clog and sit behind the blade like it does on multiple-blade cartridges.
- It feels more luxurious and glamorous than your flashy plastic piece of waste-to-be
Do you need any more reasons?
Photo by Bogdan Glisik